POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Decay...Champ No More : Re: Decay...Champ No More Server Time
5 May 2024 00:37:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decay...Champ No More
From: gonzo
Date: 23 Nov 2003 16:13:31
Message: <3fc122fb@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

> St. wrote:
> >    Jim, you're a boxing fan? I've always loved the sport of boxing. It
> > was my Grandad (Dad) that got me into it when I was around seven years
> > old and Cassius Clay was trumpeting his wares before slipping through
> > the ropes to prove he had the skill and nouse about *his* fighting
> > stature. I think it was the fight labelled "The Rumble in the Jungle"
> > that my Dad woke me up for, very late at night, so as to not wake my
> > sister... ;)  This went on with many of Clays fights, and then
> > eventually, Ali's.

What got me into boxing wasn't even a real fight, it was "Superfight", the
computerized version of Ali -vs- Marciano.  It made me realize though that
there was more to it than just the physical act of hitting someone, and that
there was strategy & thought involved.

As I was learning to appreciate the sport, a friend's father was a sports
announcer & invited to go with him to several local fights, and he'd go to
the dressing room to interview the fighters. I was always amazed at how
different they seemed out of the ring. And when I was taking some classes at
the local community college in the early 80s, I worked and studied quite a
bit with then-contender Pete Ranzany, and he was almost a completely
different person.  To meet him on the street, you would never guess he was a
fighter. Very unassuming, quiet and peaceful man, who was more comfortable
discussing his labrador retriever than boxing.

<snip>
>   But it is an existential involvement.  I am not really conversant with
> the sport; don't really know its history.  Ron did the tracing I'd
> sometimes considered doing but never really dared to.  I thought he
> pulled it off wonderfully.

Thanks!  I'd considered doing a boxing image for some time also, but never
quite had a perspective fixed to work with.  Then when the Decay topic was
announced, I had the idea of focusing on the loser instead of the winner,
and realized that was what I had been looking for. So I finally did the
scene.

> > I see. I also didn't enter myself because I've recently gone through a
> > very traumatic experience that I wish never to be repeated. It's just

Sorry to hear that! I hope everything has resolved favorably!

RG